How do I apply for an open position?
To apply for an open position, please complete an online profile via our website. You can fill out the information from scratch or you can paste your resume and cover letter into the electronic form. It can be updated any time you want. If you apply for a currently open position, it will be reviewed against the job qualifications.
If you just want to be in our resume database, you can create an online profile for Wizards/Hasbro that will notify you when a job in your area of interest is posted. To apply, create an online profile.
Why do I have to set up an online profile? Why can’t I just send you my resume and you can keep it on file?
Unfortunately, we are not able to retain unsolicited resumes sent to us in any other form than the online profile. We were getting thousands of resumes and other email inquiries and it became very difficult to manage. Creating an online profile allows you to update your information anytime you like. Also, you can online profile for Wizards/Hasbro that will notify you when a job in your area of interest is posted.
If I’ve applied for a job, when will I get a response?
Due to the large number of employment inquiries we receive, we are only able to conduct interviews with a select few. If you are among those selected, we will contact you. The response time to contact candidates for an interview can vary from a week to a few months.
How do I know if a position is still open?
Positions are open for application for a finite amount of time, usually days. As long as they continue to be posted, we are accepting applications. Depending on how quickly we are moving with the recruitment process, we may remove the job posting earlier.
Why do some positions indicate, “Only local candidates need apply”?
With the internet, it is easy to reach out to people all over the world. To help manage the number of applicants and everyone’s expectations, we try to make it clear when there is no relocation assistance available for a position and that preference will be given to local candidates. Some candidates may be willing to relocate themselves if the position does not offer relocation assistance. If this is you, please indicate this fact in your cover letter in the online profile.
Are all the positions located in Renton, Washington?
All positions are located in Renton, Washington, unless otherwise noted.
Why do you want to know my ethnicity and race in the Online Profile?
Wizards/Hasbro is required to comply with certain federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements. Solely to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements, we request that you complete this data information questionnaire.
Please Note - Completion of the form is voluntary. If you choose not to complete this questionnaire, you will not be subject to any adverse treatment. This information will not be used in consideration for your employment. This form will be detached from the employment application, and the information you provide will be recorded and maintained in a confidential file, separate from all other records.
What are the company benefits?
Benefits include (based on full-time regular employment):
- Medical, dental, vision - Includes coverage for spouses/domestic partners and dependants.
- 401(k) –200% employer match for the first 2%, 50% employer match for the next 4%, with immediate vesting for employer match.
- Short and Long Term Disability; Life Insurance; Accidental Death and Dismemberment; Long Term Care Insurance.
- Health Care and Dependent Care Reimbursement Accounts: Which allow our employees to set aside money on a pretax basis to pay for a variety of health care expenses and dependent care expenses.
- Vacation - accrues 5 days at 6 months, 10 days for year one, 12 days year two, 13 days year three, 14 days year four and so on for a maximum accrual rate of 20 days a year.
- Holidays – Three personal days plus Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and the day after Thanksgiving, and a Winter Holiday (usually from December 24 through January 1.) Plus your birthday!
- Sick Leave - accrues a total of twelve days per year.
- Free popcorn, coffee, tea & hot cocoa and 25-cent sodas.
- Tuition assistance.
- Profit sharing bonus.
- On-site Day Care Center (subject to availability).
- Recreation programs and on-site dojo and gym with showers and lockers.
- Free company product.
Note: Wizards maintains the right to add, change or delete these benefits at any time.
What about opportunities with Wizards/Hasbro’s international offices?
At this time, each of the international offices of Hasbro manages their own recruitment and announcements. Many have their own localized websites such as the Hasbro UK office. There may be job opportunities listed there, but we can’t guarantee it.
Do you have internships available? Are they paid? At what time of year? In what areas?
We do have internships at different times of the year. Some are part-time during the school year; some are full-time during the summer or occasionally for up to 6 months. All of our internships are paid.
We want the experience to be of value to the intern, so some departments in the company don’t have the time or resources to mentor an intern. The departments that have had internships in the past include:
Marketing (PR, Advertising, Market Research)
Research & Development
How do I find out about available internships?
When an internship becomes available, we post it on our website and at local colleges and universities. We usually indicate in the posting that preference will be given to local candidates. The logistics and the cost of bringing someone from out of the area for a 3-6 month internship are difficult to justify. There have been a few exceptions and those internships would not indicate “local candidates only.”
What are you looking for in a game designer or developer? How do I become a game designer or developer? What should I study in school?
Role Playing Games (RPGs) and Miniatures–Openings for an RPG Design, Development, or Editing position don’t come up often and when they do it, the competition is very stiff. The qualifications we look for include:
- College degree, preferably in English, Journalism, or some other related area.
- Excellent writing and editing skills are a must.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Previous published RPG/game design credits essential.
- Current knowledge of d20 System rules & mechanics.
- RPG game designers must be able to work with both game mechanics and story elements.
- RPG game developers and miniatures designers are primarily game mechanic engineers who need to be proficient in math and analytical thinking.
- In all cases, we look for skilled applicants who have a proven track record in the industry.
There are a number of smaller companies that publish RPGs and many writers also get their start by submitting adventures to Dungeon and/or Dragon Magazine, published by Paizo Publishing in Bellevue, Washington.
Trading Card Games (TCGs) – Like RPG Design, open positions are rare on the TCG R&D team. The qualifications we look for in an entry level developer include:
- Bachelors Degree focused in analytical thinking preferred (business, engineering, math, philosophy, or science).
- Knowledge of existing TCGs required. Expertise in Magic highly desired.
- DCI Judge certification (Level 3 or 4 preferred for Magic).
- Ability to fulfill project tasks with minimal supervision required.
To work on a product line like Magic, having a profound knowledge of the game is essential. We do have some former Pro Tour players on the R&D staff.